Serving clients throughout Victoria

Legal Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

Legal aid is the provision of assistance to people who are unable to afford legal representation and access to the court system. Legal aid is regarded as central in providing access to justice by ensuring equality before the law, the right to counsel and the right to a fair trial. (Source)

We suggest you contact us if you’d like to apply for legal aid.

This is the fastest way of knowing if you’re eligible.

Yes. We are approved by Victoria Legal Aid to represent legally aided clients in Family Law matters.

Melbourne and all Victorian regions.

Contact our family lawyers melbourne legal aid here.

We’ll require the following for your legal aid application:

  • Copy of your photo identification;
  • Proof of your income such as three recent payslips and/or your Centrelink Benefit Statement;
  • Your current health care card or other Centrelink concession card;
  • Statements for all your bank or credit union accounts for the last three months


We can submit your application for a grant of Legal Aid on your behalf.

Having a lawyer submit your application for you may result in a quicker decision than if you submit the application directly with Victoria Legal Aid.


Applying for Legal Aid Victoria Family Law

If you are unable to support your case personally, Victoria Legal Aid might be able to assist you in some cases.
The matter in question must be a priority matter, have merit, and pass the means test in order to be qualified for Legal Aid assistance in the Federal Circuit Court for a family law matter. You must also be regarded as a “priority client.”
A priority matter is one that the Court deems urgent, such as a child in imminent danger or on the verge of being removed from the state/country.

A priority client is someone who has a disability, has been diagnosed with a mental or psychological disorder, has cultural and/or language barriers, literacy barriers, and/or has drug and/or alcohol problems.

If you are currently homeless or identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, you would most likely be eligible for legal assistance.

If you have witnessed or are at risk of experiencing family abuse, you might be elligible.

You must have completed or tried to complete, a mediation with Legal Aid’s Family Dispute Resolution Services (‘FDRS’) to be qualified for Legal Aid assistance in the Family Court.

Legal Aid Family Lawyers Melbourne

Need the best Legal Aid Family Lawyers Melbourne VIC?

Keane Family Law is approved for Legal Aid in Victoria.

Please contact us for a chat (no fee).

Share this page